Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Never stop looking for rainbows!


The upper midwest has suffered severe flooding, thunderstorms, and generally shitty weather the past two weeks. I know that "shitty" is not an accurate meteorological term, but it is the best adjective to describe the abject weather conditions. Amidst the chaos of fallen trees, hail, and horizontal rain, I experienced an odd perspective that can only be seen through the eyes of a child.

Driving through the pouring rain with a wall of ominous clouds looming on the horizon, my eight your old son, Parker, says from the back seat "look for rainbows daddy" --- to which I replied "What!?" He repeated -- "raining, look for rainbows daddy!" -- you see Parker has Down Syndrome and often has a different perspective on the current circumstances. His eternal optimism was encouraging me to look for the rainbows among the looming storm clouds... they have to be here somewhere, so lets find them.

Seeing life through the eyes of a child is a wonderful thing sometimes. Parker reminds me of that from time to time to keep me grounded in what is important in my life.

Keep looking for rainbows!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks again for helping me look for my rainbows last night!

Unknown said...

A friend of mine called this morning from Iowa to complain about all the flooding. "My house has taken on water, the plant I run is ruined, blah, blah, blah." I took your advice and told him how lucky he was that it was raining; he should be out looking for rainbows. Oddly enough that didn't help.